Medium sized bird of prey (approx 58 cm or 23 in). Sturdy build, medium span (approx 132 cm or 4.5 ft) and variable colouration. Relatively short tail. Dorsal plumage of dark brown colour and lighter brown in the underparts; white spots on the breast with great variability between individuals. Bare tarsi. In flight, its short and wide wings with a wide white spot and a fan-shaped clear horizontal barred on the tail are its distinctive features.
Very generalist species and able to accommodate to any type of habitat and even to the presence of man. To nest, it prefers areas with an average degree of plant cover, using grasslands, countryside, crops, mountain forest stands and open areas.
Resident species in the province all year round. Malaga also hosts wintering individuals and an important migratory passage of buzzards. It starts breeding in April, making an annual laying of 2 to 3 eggs. Nest in trees. Very variable feeding, from insects and invertebrates, to carrion and prey of small and medium size. It virtually takes advantage of any available resource.
Frequent bird in the province. It can be observed in almost the entire Great Path. In particular, for example, in stages 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 26, 25, 31, 32 and 33.
Bustards are quiet birds, which are usually perched on poles or wires on the margins of roads. They also spend a lot of time gliding in open spaces. Its common name in Spanish ("ratonero") and Latin (stemming from "buteo" or "busio") makes reference to the fact that they are eagles that hunt mice.
- Campillos – Sierra de Yeguas
- El Cerro de Santi Petri
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 06. Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 12. Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 13. Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14. Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 15. Villanueva de Algaidas - Cuevas Bajas
- GR 249. Stage 16. Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 18. Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 19. Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20. Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro (Álora)
- GR 249. Stage 23. El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24. Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25. Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26. Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 27. Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28. Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 29. Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 31. Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 33. Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 35. Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Los Llanos de Antequera – Cartaojal – La Sarteneja
- Monte de San Antón (Málaga)
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park
- Sierra de Arcas
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River