Small bird (approx 18 cm or 7 in) and graceful, black with metallic blue reflections on the back and cream white on the belly area. Rufous forehead and throat, with a black neck collar. Long and pointed wings. Long and forked black tail, with small clear terminal ovals.
All types of environments, with preference for rural and urban areas near wet grasslands and crops. It uses farmhouses, yards and terraces to install the nest.
Summer species that arrives in Malaga in February in a massive way. During the last years it has been observed individuals who spend the winter in the province. It starts breeding in March and makes two layings of 4 to 5 eggs. Nest made of clay in the shape of an open cup, without entry and usually solitary (difference with the Common House Martin). It feeds on small flying insects.
Common and frequent species in the whole province and that can be watched practically in all the Great Path.
The arrival of the swallows is a symptom of the arrival of spring and of good omens. In fact, this bird has been traditionally associated with God in popular culture, which is why it has always been protected. It was said that the swallows alleviated the suffering of Jesus Christ on the cross by removing the thorns from the crown that he wore on his forehead.
- Arroyo de la Ventilla
- Campillos – Sierra de Yeguas
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 09. Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 02. Rincón de la Victoria - Vélez-Málaga
- GR 249. Stage 03. Vélez-Málaga - Torrox
- GR 249. Stage 04. Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 07. Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 08. Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10. Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 14. Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 17. Alameda - Fuente de Piedra
- GR 249. Stage 19. Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20. Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro (Álora)
- GR 249. Stage 21. Estación de El Chorro (Álora) - Carratraca - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 23. El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24. Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25. Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26. Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 31. Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 32. Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33. Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 35. Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Los Llanos de Antequera – Cartaojal – La Sarteneja
- Mouth of the Guadalhorce Nature Reserve
- Río del Burgo
- Río Guadalmina
- The Mouth of Rio Velez