Small bird (about 18 cm or 7 in) with a bulky head and a thick bill with a very broad base and silvery grey tones. Plumage in general of brown tones, more ocher in the belly. Orange head with grey spots on the face, more discreet and muted in females. Small black mask on the face that covers the eyes. Wings with metallic blue reflection in males and silver grey in females. In flight there are two large white spots on the wings.
Woodland species with a preference for deciduous forests with large trees, developed scrub, fruit trees and streams in the environment. It prefers masses of species that produce many fruits and seeds (holm or Portuguese oaks, ash trees, elms, maples, wild olives, laurestine, lote trees).
Species resident all year round in the province. This bird breeds from April. Two annual layings of 4 to 5 eggs. Nest in trees. Consumer of large fruits and seeds, as evidenced by its bill. Able to consume pulp of cherries, rose hips, olives and other forest drupes.
Frequent species but difficult to detect. Very discreet, shy, silent and common at treetops. The Hawfinch can be observed in the Juanar (Sierra Blanca), forests of Montejaque and of the Gaduares river, Genal valley and Axarquía. In the Great Path it is present in stages 11 to 14, 26 to 28 and 31, among others.
Its name comes from the Greek "kokkos" ("almond") and "thrayo" ("break") and gives an idea of the ability of this bird to access the content of very hard seeds. Its powerful bill, driven by highly developed muscles, generates a force of 25 to 40 kilograms, which allows it to break for example the bones of cherries, one of its favourite foods.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Arroyo de la Ventilla
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 11. Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 12. Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 13. Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 14. Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 26. Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 27. Benalauría - Genalguacil
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 28. Genalguacil - Casares
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 31. Marbella - Ojén
- Hoz de Marín
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park
- Quejigales - Puerto de Los Pilones
- Refugio de Juanar
- Sierra de Mollina y Laguna de la Ratosa
- Tajos del Fraile, Doña Ana y Gómer