Large bird of prey (about 90 cm or 3 ft) and with a large wingspan (about 230 cm or 7.5 ft). It is the largest eagle present in Malaga. The colour of the plumage is dark brown with golden tones on the head and the back. The silhouette in flight is very dark, with long and wide wings. In juveniles there are very distinctive large white spots on tail and wings. When perched its powerful silhouette stands out, with a large bill and feathered tarsi.
Rupicolous species linked to mountain range areas and high plains with little human presence. This bird requires rocky gorges and cliffs to exist for it to be able to nest. It avoids forest areas.
Resident in Malaga all year round. It starts its breeding very early, at the end of January, and makes a single laying of 1 to 3 eggs. The nest is located in rock fields or abrupt areas which are difficult to access. Couples are faithful throughout their lives. This raptor feeds on all kinds of prey, although rabbit and hare, pigeons and corvids predominate in its diet, as well as reptiles such as lizards. It also has scavenger habits so it is not difficult to find in the existing rubbish tips and vulture feeding points of the province.
It is not an abundant species but it is present in many Malaga mountain ranges. In the Great Path it can be watched in stages 7, 11, 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 26, 29, 31 and 33.
Its name is due to the reflections of the plumage on its head and neck. It is currently the largest predator present in Malaga, able to capture foxes, mongeese or herbivores such as juveniles of mountain goats or roe deer.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Dehesa de Hondonero
- El Alcázar - La Maroma
- El Torcal
- Fuente de los 100 Caños
- GR 249. Stage 06. Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07. Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 11. Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 13. Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14. Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 16. Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 20. Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro (Álora)
- GR 249. Stage 21. Estación de El Chorro (Álora) - Carratraca - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 22. Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 25. Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26. Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 29. Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 31. Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 33. Mijas - Benalmádena
- Llanos de Líbar
- Mirador de Gaitanejo
- Quejigales - Puerto de Los Pilones
- Refugio de Juanar
- Tajos del Fraile, Doña Ana y Gómer