Medium-sized bird (about 28 cm or 11 in) similar to a pigeon but more slender. Orange-brown upperparts with a black mottling, bluish grey head and neck with a neck-collar showing black and white lists. Greyish or pink underparts. Tail with black base and white terminal stripe.
Species of open environments with mosaics of habitats in warm areas. It prefers alternating hedges, boundaries and crops with copses, riverbanks or grasslands. Present also in parks and gardens. The European Turtle Dove avoids mountain areas and dense, closed forest stands.
Summer bird present in Malaga during the breeding season. As of May, it makes two to three annual layings of 1 to 2 eggs. Nest in trees or shrubs. Granivorous species that feeds on seeds, sprouts of herbs and fruits. Preference for sunflower crops. This bird is a long-haul migrant. It spends the winter south of the Sahara.
It is a frequent and widely distributed species throughout the province. In the Great Path it can be watched especially in stages where there are mixed agricultural areas. Although it is present in the most of them, stages 11 to 17 are good options to observe it.
Turtle doves emit a soft, monotonous and repetitive lullaby that always brings memories of the landscape in the warm hours of spring in the countryside. Its name derives from the Latin "torques", which means necklace. The same goes for its Latin genus, that derives from the Greek and also means "dove with collar".
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 02: Rincón de la Victoria - Vélez-Málaga
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 15: Villanueva de Algaidas - Cuevas Bajas
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 19: Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 29: Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 31: Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Las Campiñuelas
- Mouth of the Guadalhorce Nature Reserve
- Río del Burgo
- Sierra de Mollina y Laguna de la Ratosa
- The Mouth of Rio Velez