Bird of medium size (about 38 cm or 15 in), similar to a duck but with very different and unmistakable features. Plumage of black colour with shades of slate gray. Robust bill and with a white frontal shield. Red eye iris. Strong legs with long toes and globose or lobed (scalloped) edges that increase their surface, in dark green colour.
All kinds of wetlands with preferably shallow, calm waters and little current. The Eurasian Coot needs plenty of submerged vegetation and dense vegetal border with muddy shores.
Species resident in the province. It breeds from March. Nest in the shape of a floating platform anchored to the bottom. One laying of 6 to 10 eggs. This bird feeds on algae and aquatic and terrestrial plants (shoots, fruits and roots). During the breeding season it also captures invertebrates. When this coot feeds it does it from the surface, introducing the head under the sheet of water and leaving the body balanced above. Gregarious habits except during the breeding season, when it is very territorial.
Frequent and abundant bird throughout the province. It can be observed in almost all the estuaries of coastal rivers, as well as in the Fuente de Piedra, Campillos and Archidona lagoons. Also present in marshes and reservoirs along the coast.
The peculiar design of the toes of coots allows them to swim well, imitating the effect of the interdigital membranes of the ducks. Thanks to their scalloped fingers they also manage to "run through the water". That is to say, they initiate a race of takeoff on the surface of water, flapping the wings, something necessary to lift the flight.
- Costa del Sol Occidental
- El Chorro (Paraje Natural del Desfiladero de Los Gaitanes)
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 19: Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Laguna Dulce
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Mouth of the Guadalhorce Nature Reserve
- Reserva Natural Laguna de la Ratosa y La Castañuela
- Sierra de Mollina y Laguna de la Ratosa
- The Mouth of Rio Velez
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River