Medium sized corvid (about 35 cm or 14 in) with a very striking plumage and an unmistakable call. The body is rufous with lighter shades in the underparts. It has stripes with turquoise and black bands on the wings. Black tail with a thick white band. Head with reddish nape, white throat and striated upper area. Black moustachial stripe and a very thick bill.
In all types of woodland stands, from deciduous and mixed forests to pure conifers. It looks for the most cleared areas and the edges of the woods.
Species resident and present all year round in Malaga. The Eurasian Jay breeds from April and makes a single laying of 4 to 6 eggs. It is an omnivorous and opportunistic bird, like most of the corvids, feeding on acorns, chestnuts, wild berries and all kinds of grains and fruits. It also consumes eggs and chicks from birds, as well as insects, caterpillars and earthworms. The seasonal availability of each food determines its diet.
Very frequent and abundant bird that can be watched in almost all the Great Path, in particular in the stages with forest formations.
The Eurasian Jay fulfills two important functions. First, it tends to bury in the ground some of the acorns that it catches, thus contributing to regenerate the forest. Second, this jay emits a harsh, strong and repetitive call as soon as it detects strangers. This, together with the fact that it is usually on the edges of forest stands, serves as a warning of dangers to other birds and animals.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Arroyo de la Ventilla
- Camino de la Fuenfría
- El Alcázar - La Maroma
- El Chorro (Paraje Natural del Desfiladero de Los Gaitanes)
- Fuente de los 100 Caños
- Fuente del Acebuche
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 21: Estación de El Chorro - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 29: Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 34: Benalmádena - Alhaurín de la Torre
- Hoz de Marín
- Llanos de Líbar
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park
- Nacimiento Río Jorox
- Quejigales - Puerto de Los Pilones
- Refugio de Juanar
- Río del Burgo
- Río Guadalmina
- Río Jorox
- Sierra del Padrastro
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River