Medium-sized bird (approx 24 cm or 9.5 in), slender and with very bright colours. Male of intense yellow colour with black spots in a line near the eyes, on the wings and on the tail. Reddish bill and greyish legs. The female has more muted tones. The yellow is more olive green and the black is more brown.
River and riverside
Woodland species present in deciduous forests. It prefers groves, banks, poplar woods and fruit orchards. Also present in parks with large trees and in grasslands.
Summer bird in Malaga, present only during the breeding period and in migratory passage. As of May it makes a laying of 3 to 5 eggs. Nest in the shape of a bowl or basket hanging from tree branches. It feeds on invertebrates, mainly large insects and caterpillars, but also consumes berries and fruits (figs, blackberries, etc ...). The Eurasian Golden Oriole has an elusive behaviour and is usually aggressive with other species. Difficult to see perched. Easier to watch in flight when traveling. It spends the winter in tropical Africa.
It is a common bird in the province although little abundant. It can be watched in stages 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28 and 29 of the Great Path.
The oriole is a bird with a powerful and fluted song, unmistakable. It has the ability to "weave" its nest. Using vegetable fibers, pieces of string, wool and twigs and as if its bill was a sewing needle this bird builds a hanging basket. Legend has it that this tropical bird took its colours and its name from the gold of King Solomon's Mines.
- Arroyo de la Ventilla
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 21: Estación de El Chorro - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 29: Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Hoz de Marín
- Molino de los Corchos
- Río del Burgo
- Sierra de Mollina y Laguna de la Ratosa