Small bird (about 14 cm or 5.5 in) similar to a swallow, with brown and dun plumage but more clear underparts. Its tail is short and not forked, with white dots in the undertail. It is a bird that is normally seen in flight or perched at sunset in colonial roosts.
Urban and rocky environments
Rupicolous bird, present near steep, rocky areas and walls, bridges and urban constructions in rural surroundings.
The Crag-Martin is a bird resident in Malaga all year round. The province also hosts wintering specimens. It breeds from May, making two annual layings of 3 to 4 eggs, and builds its nests in cracks in rock walls, under bridges, in tunnels and in rural buildings. It is a colonial bird although can also nest alone. It feeds on flying insects that hunts alone or in small groups.
It is a common and usual bird in the province and can be observed in most stages of the Great Path, both in urban ones and in those that have rocky or riverine habitats.
Their communal roosts on ledges and cornices of buildings during the winter are very characteristic.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Arroyo de la Ventilla
- El Alcázar - La Maroma
- El Chorro (Paraje Natural del Desfiladero de Los Gaitanes)
- El Torcal
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- GR 249. Stage 02: Rincón de la Victoria - Vélez-Málaga
- GR 249. Stage 03: Vélez-Málaga - Torrox
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 21: Estación de El Chorro - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 31: Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Llanos de Líbar
- Monte de San Antón (Málaga)
- Mouth of the Guadalhorce Nature Reserve
- Refugio de Juanar
- Río Guadalmina
- Río Jorox
- Sierra del Padrastro
- Sierra del Padrastro
- Tajo de Ronda
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River