Bird of small to medium size (about 18 cm or 7 in), bulky and with the plumage of upper parts, wings and tail of earth colour with abundant white lines, very similar to that of larks. Light or white underparts. It has a white moustachial stripe with very characteristic dark edges, as well as a large granivore bill, typical of buntings, which, on the other hand, distinguishes it from larks (insectivores).
Open areas and agricultural crops. Also present in meadows, grasslands and little forested areas, as well as in transition borders of forest areas to more open environments.
Resident species all year round in Malaga. It breeds from April, making from one to three layings of 4 to 6 eggs. Nest on the ground. Granivorous feeding based on seeds of wild or cultivated cereals, especially wheat; invertebrates during the breeding season.
Frequent and common species in the Malaga countryside. Although it is not a woodland or mountain species, it can be watched practically in almost all the Great Path since it usually occupies the edges of almost all the environments.
The bill of the Corn Bunting shows a small, very characteristic "tooth" or sharp edge in the middle of the upper jaw. Its task is to split the grains and seeds. Its call, insistent and grating, is another one of those sounds typical of the spring and summer heat in the Malaga fields. It is usually perched on a wire, wire fence or elevated area.
- Arroyo de la Ventilla
- Campillos – Sierra de Yeguas
- El Cerro de Santi Petri
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 17: Alameda - Fuente de Piedra
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 19: Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Laguna de Fuente de Piedra Nature Reserve
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Llanos de Líbar
- Los Llanos de Antequera – Cartaojal – La Sarteneja
- Sierra del Padrastro
- Tajos del Fraile, Doña Ana y Gómer
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River