Large bird (approx 67 cm or 2 ft) with a considerable wingspan (approx 140 cm or 4.5 ft). Fully black plumage with metallic tones. Also black are its legs, large bill and eyes. In flight it makes long glidings with slow flappings; worth noting its long, pointed wings and its wedge-shaped tail.
Rockyenvironments and cultivated areas
It is a bird that adapts to many types of environments but always conditioned by the presence of rocky gorges and pits in which to nest. That is why it is more frequent in areas of mountains and abrupt landscapes. However, its feeding areas include forests, crops or rural areas.
Species resident in the province whose breeding begins in February making an annual laying of 4 to 6 eggs. In addition to nests in rocky pits it also uses electricity poles and trees as its breeding ground. The Common Raven is an opportunistic bird and as such little demanding when it comes to feeding. It captures small animals (insects, worms, snails, small vertebrates) and takes advantage of carrion, waste in landfills and also fruits and seeds.
It is a common and frequent bird practically in all the Great Path.
Mythology has accused ravens of being birds of bad omen, messengers of bad news. The reality is that they are in fact messengers but the recipients of their messages are vultures, and for them ravens usually bring very good news. Their low-rise flights and their wide feeding areas allow these birds to easily locate the carcasses of dead animals. The metallic flashes of its plumage are easy to see from the air by vultures that in this way know well where to go to eat. And an invitation to a banquet is never bad news.
- Arroyo de la Ventilla
- Campillos – Sierra de Yeguas
- El Alcázar - La Maroma
- El Cerro de Santi Petri
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 01: Málaga - Rincón de la Victoria
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 19: Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- Hoz de Marín
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Llanos de Líbar
- Los Llanos de Antequera – Cartaojal – La Sarteneja
- Monte de San Antón (Málaga)
- Observatorio Carroñeras Cortes de la Frontera
- Quejigales - Puerto de Los Pilones
- Refugio de Juanar
- Sierra de Mollina y Laguna de la Ratosa
- Sierra del Padrastro
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River