Bird of small size (about 15 cm or 6 in) and inconspicuous due to its earthy and discreet colouring. Brown upperparts with light greenish tones and dark streaks. Very striped dirty white underparts. Orange or cream flanks. Rounded wings and long tail with white outer feathers. Black moustachial stripe and white throat. Thin bill and legs, with long straight posterior nail. Very terrestrial habits (it is usually observed on the ground).
Species of open areas. Present in pastures, humid meadows, fields, sowings and irrigations.
Wintering species in Malaga and also present during its migration. In the peninsula the Meadow Pipit breeds in the Bay of Biscay. It makes two annual layings of 4 to 6 eggs from April. Nest on the ground. Insectivore that complements its feeding with seeds in winter. This bird usually forages by pecking on the ground in groups.
Wintering species very frequent and common in the province, present during the winter in all kinds of wet meadows and low bearing grasslands, which includes gardens and golf courses, for example. It can be watched along the coastal zone, low Axarquía and inland regions such as Antequera, Guadalteba or northeastern. In the Great Path it is present in stages 2, 4, 9 to 12, 17, 18, 20, 23 and 26.
The most common of the pipits is a bird of meadows and lowlands that is characterized by walking quietly among the grass looking for insects. In Malaga it is known as "pasita" or "pancita". Pipits adopt their Latin name from Anthus, son of Autonous and Hippodamia, caretakers of horses, and that was turned into a bird tied to the places where the horses of their parents grazed.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Costa del Sol Occidental
- El Alcázar - La Maroma
- El Cerro de Santi Petri
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- GR 249. Stage 09. Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 02. Rincón de la Victoria - Vélez-Málaga
- GR 249. Stage 04. Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 08. Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10. Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11. Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 12. Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 17. Alameda - Fuente de Piedra
- GR 249. Stage 18. Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 19. Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20. Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro (Álora)
- GR 249. Stage 23. El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24. Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 26. Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 30. Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 32. Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33. Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 35. Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- GR 249.1. Stage Mollina - Humilladero - Fuente de Piedra
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Llanos de Líbar
- Monte de San Antón (Málaga)
- Quejigales - Puerto de Los Pilones
- Ruta de Periana a Alfarnatejo
- Sierra del Padrastro
- Tajos del Fraile, Doña Ana y Gómer
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River