Large raptor (approx 70 cm or 2.5 ft) with a slender poise and narrow wings (wingspan approx 170 cm or 5.5 ft). The upperparts are dark brown with light spots, while in the areas of the breast it is pale. In flight the contrast between the back of the wings, of a dark colour, and the breast and front area of the wings, of a light colour, is clearly distinguishable. Clear tail with dark terminal strip.
A rupicolous species that lives mainly in warm mountain ranges, cliffs and abrupt reliefs with gorges, walls and gullies. Its hunting territory includes other habitats around the central mountainous area in which it usually has the nest.
Species resident all year round in Malaga. It makes a single annual laying of two eggs. The nest is located in inaccessible rocky areas. The diet is mainly based on partridges, pigeons and rabbits, especially in the breeding season. The Bonelli's Eagle compensates the absence of one of these prey with another, especially with pigeons, which are its most abundant prey. It also captures other medium-sized birds and small mammals. This eagle is a very agile raptor, specialist in flight hunting.
Malaga is one of the Andalusian provinces with more pairs of Bonelli's eagle and probably where the species reaches the highest density along the entire Mediterranean. In the Great Path it can be observed in stages 5 to 14, 19 to 28 and 31 to 34.
Although it is a rupicolous species in the province, at least two pairs of Bonelli's eagles have been reported to breed in forest environments, even nesting in trees. It is aggressive when it shares the territory with other raptors.
- El Cerro de Santi Petri
- El Chorro (Paraje Natural del Desfiladero de Los Gaitanes)
- El Torcal
- Fuente de los 100 Caños
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 19: Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 21: Estación de El Chorro - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 31: Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 34: Benalmádena - Alhaurín de la Torre
- Hoz de Marín
- Llanos de Líbar
- Mirador Sierra de Peñarrubia
- Paraje Natural Sierra Crestellina
- Río Guadalmina
- Tajos del Fraile, Doña Ana y Gómer