Small to medium size bird (approx 18 cm or 7 in), easily distinguishable. White belly and throat, black back with white stripes on the wings, black mask covering the eyes, red crown and nape. The tail is black. Hook-shaped bill, similar to that of a small raptor.
Typical of the Mediterranean landscapes of open countryside, with scattered trees and bushes. Also usual in grasslands, olive groves, thickets and cultivated fields.
Summer bird present in Malaga only during the breeding period. The Woodchat Shrike breeds between the months of April and May with two annual layings, with 6 eggs in each. It feeds on insects, lizards and even micromammals that it catches on the ground. This bird acts like a small raptor but without claws, using only its bill. Its hunting technique consists of perching alone on high points (fences, poles, cables) covering open areas from there and watching the ground.
It is a frequent and easy to see bird. Usually perched in the high branches of the bushes, on fences, wires or walls. Present virtually at almost all the stages of the Great Path.
Shrikes are small predators that use thorny shrubs to impale their victims and facilitate their consumption. The Woodchat Shrike is considered a bio-indicator of sustainable agricultural practices in crops such as vineyards.
- Campillos – Sierra de Yeguas
- El Torcal
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 02: Rincón de la Victoria - Vélez-Málaga
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 15: Villanueva de Algaidas - Cuevas Bajas
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Las Campiñuelas
- Los Llanos de Antequera – Cartaojal – La Sarteneja
- Sierra de Mollina y Laguna de la Ratosa