Small bird (approx. 14 cm or 5.5 in) with rufous upperparts and head and greyish underparts and throat. It presents pale grey eyebrows and a rufous lore. The auricular area is greyish. Thin and yellowish bill, the same as the legs. Rounded wings and tail. Light speckles on the undertail. When it moves among the vegetation it raises and displays the tail frequently.
River and Riverside
Species linked to marsh vegetation, occupying groves, riverbanks, marshes, reeds and in general areas of dense vegetation near the water.
Bird resident in the province all year round. It is monogamous or polygamous according to the circumstances (abundance of resources) and breeds from March. Two annual layings of 4 to 5 eggs. Bowl-shaped nest among marsh vegetation. Very discreet habits. It moves by hopping among the vegetation, avoiding to fly. Insectivore.
Very common and frequent species in all river courses and shores of lagoons, including ditches, parks, gardens and orchards with irrigation of the province. Very difficult to watch but easy to detect due to its characteristic call, which it emits even in winter and which we have all surely heard once.
The Italian naturalist Francesco Cetti described this species in the 18th century. The bird takes its Latin name in his honour. By its resemblance to the Common Nightingale, but without being the same species, it is also known in Spanish as the "illegitimate" or "bastard" nightingale.
- Campillos – Sierra de Yeguas
- Costa del Sol Occidental
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Hoz de Marín
- Laguna de Fuente de Piedra Nature Reserve
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Mouth of the Guadalhorce Nature Reserve
- Río Guadalmina
- The Mouth of Rio Velez
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River