Large bird of prey (approx 69 cm or 27 in) with long and wide wings (wingspan approx 175 cm or 5.5 ft). When perched its head and big yellow eyes stand out. Short and bare tarsi (without feathers). White plumage with small brown spots. Brown back, head and neck. In flight the dark throat on wings and clear belly are outlined. Tips of wings and tail with dark stripe. Able to hover in flight.
Raptor of semiforestal environments and open spaces. It uses woodland areas mainly to breed, from sea level to 1400 meters of altitude, and prefers warm mid-mountain environments and areas. Present in pine woods, holm and cork oak woods, grassland and countryside. This eagle uses open or partially wooded areas, pastures and crops as hunting areas.
Species present in Malaga especially during the summer. There are also specimens in migratory passage and in recent years some of them wintering. This raptor builds its nest in trees of a certain size in wooded areas. The laying consists of a single egg. It feeds mostly on reptiles and uses sunny slopes with scattered trees and shrubs to hunt snakes and lizards, stalking them from elevated perches or hovering from the air after prospecting their territory with numerous passes at different heights.
Frequent in almost all the Great Path, although it is not an abundant species. It can be watched, for example, in stages 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 16, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33 and 34.
The Short-toed Snake Eagle is the only raptor present in Malaga capable of hunting snakes, including vipers, which are scarce prey, difficult to hunt and very aggressive. When it catches them it destroys their head with pecks and engulfs them whole while still alive.
- Cerro Alaminos
- Fuente de los 100 Caños
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 21: Estación de El Chorro - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 29: Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 31: Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 34: Benalmádena - Alhaurín de la Torre
- Mirador del Tajo de la Caína
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park
- Sierra de Matagallar
- Valley of Genal River