Medium-sized bird (about 28 cm or 11 in) that, due to its cryptic plumage, is easier to be watched in flight or perched on tracks and roads than in the countryside. It resembles a large swift of brown colours. In flight it shows very visible white markings on the tips of the wings and tail. It has a distinctive rufous neck collar, which stands out from the rest of the plumage. Long wings and tail.
Cultivated areas and scrubland
Open spaces in warm and dry areas of moderate altitude (less than 800 masl) and little woodland. It is not present in mountain areas. Mixed landscapes that alternate bushes and scattered trees with crops and wastelands, fertile plains and orchards and riparian woods.
Summer species in the province, present only during the breeding period and in migratory passage. The Red-Necked Nightjar spends winter south of the Sahara Desert. Twilight and nocturnal habits. It builds its nest on the ground and breeds from May, a single annual laying of 2 eggs. Insectivore that captures its prey in flight, especially moths, using its huge mouth.
Frequent species in Malaga. In the Great Path they can be observed in stages 3, 5, 6, 9, 12, 13, 17, 18, 22, 23, 27, 28, 31, 32 and 33 among others. It is very usual to see them perched on the roads and tracks at night, dazzled by the headlights of the cars, which is why a lot are run over.
In Malaga nightjars are known as "zumayas" or "engañapastores" ("deceivers of shepherds"). There is a belief that they can drink milk from the goats, sucking directly from the udders. Although this is false, it is true that they usually accompany the flocks in the twilight to feed on the insects that they raise in their path. What is most spectacular is their adaptation to nocturnal life: big eyes, feathers for a silent flight and vibrissae (sensory hairs, like the whiskers of cats).
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 02: Rincón de la Victoria - Vélez-Málaga
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 15: Villanueva de Algaidas - Cuevas Bajas
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 31: Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park
- Ruta de Periana a Alfarnatejo
- The Mouth of Rio Velez