Small bird (approx 11 cm or 4.5 in) abundant during autumn and winter. It is characterized by its plumage of greenish and grey-brown tones on the back and lighter, almost whitish, in the ventral area. Very restless behaviour.
Scrubland and urban environments
Forest species with preference for wet masses, riparian woods and deciduous forests, but which occupies during winter practically from gardened areas at sea level up to mountain scrub at medium altitude.
Wintering bird in the province that can also be seen in migratory passage. It breeds from March. Nest in the low altitude scrub. A laying of 3 to 9 eggs. Insectivorous diet based on small invertebrates.
Abundant and frequent species. It can be watched widely throughout the province. Very typical in urban parks during the winter. In the Great Path it is present in most stages.
The name of this bird in Spanish ("mosquitero") makes a clear reference to its feeding approach, like its Latin name, which means that it spends time looking among the leaves, looking for food. In English, however, it is known as "chiffchaff" because that is its repetitive call. Until a few years ago it was considered the same species as the Iberian Chiffchaff. Genetic analyses have shown that they are different species, with a distinctly different phenology.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Costa del Sol Occidental
- El Alcázar - La Maroma
- El Cerro de Santi Petri
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- GR 249. Stage 02: Rincón de la Victoria - Vélez-Málaga
- GR 249. Stage 03: Vélez-Málaga - Torrox
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 15: Villanueva de Algaidas - Cuevas Bajas
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 19: Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 31: Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 34: Benalmádena - Alhaurín de la Torre
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Llanos de Líbar
- Monte de San Antón (Málaga)
- Quejigales - Puerto de Los Pilones
- Refugio de Juanar
- Río Jorox
- Tajos del Fraile, Doña Ana y Gómer
- The Mouth of Rio Velez
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River