Small bird (approx 16 cm or 6.5 in). Olive grey nape and breast, striking black bib (only in males) and marked yellow lateral lines on the face. Yellow breast and rufous back. Female with more muted colours and lacking the black bib. Short tail and sturdy bill.
Scrubland, woodland environment
Species of boundaries and groves. Present on the edges of woods, both dense and open forest stands, whether they are deciduous or pine. Also present on banks, wet meadows with scattered or shrubby trees, parks and gardens.
Resident in Malaga all year round. The breeding starts in April. It makes a single annual laying of 2 to 5 eggs and does not nest on the ground. The Cirl Bunting feeds on seeds and during the breeding season also captures small invertebrates.
Frequent and common species in Malaga. On the Great Path it can be watched in practically all stages.
Riparian groves consist of small, very leafy plant formations, linked to river banks or humid soils. They are usually linear formations, borders between different environments. They are the perfect places to observe this bunting.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Camino de la Fuenfría
- El Cerro de Santi Petri
- El Torcal
- Fuente de los 100 Caños
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- Hoz de Marín
- Llanos de Líbar
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park
- Nacimiento del río Guadalmedina
- Quejigales - Puerto de Los Pilones
- Río del Burgo
- Río Jorox
- Tajos del Fraile, Doña Ana y Gómer
- Valley of Genal River