Medium sized bird (approx 30 cm or 12 in). Orange belly with barred flanks with grey, black and white stripes. Greyish brown back and head, white throat with black band. Breast mottled in black. Red bill and eye-ring. Red legs, naked and strong.
Open landscapes or with scattered trees. Grasslands, crops, scattered thickets, meadows and olive groves.
Sedentary species and resident in Malaga all year round. The breeding starts in April. Normally a single annual laying of 10 to 16 eggs. Nest on the ground. It feeds on seeds, leaves, flowers and also insects in the breeding season. It is a very terrestrial species, which almost always moves on foot, although when it flies it does it fast and alternates strong flapping with soaring. Gregarious in winter and very territorial in spring.
Very widespread bird and easy to see in all the Great Path, especially in non-forest stages.
Contrary to what is believed, the Red-Legged Partridge displays a great variety of reproductive behaviours. There are partridges that nest in trees, polygamous males, couples that make two layings (one incubated by the male and another by the female) and birds that remain single and do not breed for a few years. Everything depends on the state of the habitat.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Camino de la Fuenfría
- Campillos – Sierra de Yeguas
- El Alcázar - La Maroma
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 15: Villanueva de Algaidas - Cuevas Bajas
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 19: Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 21: Estación de El Chorro - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Hoz de Marín
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Llanos de Líbar
- Los Llanos de Antequera – Cartaojal – La Sarteneja
- Monte de San Antón (Málaga)
- Quejigales - Puerto de Los Pilones
- Refugio de Juanar
- Río Jorox
- Ruta de Periana a Alfarnatejo
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River