Bulky small bird (about 16 cm or 6.5 in), with short wings and long tail. It is characterized by having three black lines on its head on a grey background that covers the head, neck, nape and upper breast. The rest of the body is rufous.
Scrubland and rocky environments
This bird preferentially inhabits open mountain areas, pastures, rocky slopes with scattered thickets, both high mountain and at lower altitudes. It also occupies clearings of open forests, cultivated areas and parks and gardens provided there is scattered scrub.
Species resident in the province all year round. In winter it usually descends from the high areas. The Rock Bunting starts breeding at the end of April, making two layings of 3 to 6 eggs. Nest on the ground. It feeds on seeds, buds and assorted fruits. In spring and summer it also consumes insects and small invertebrates.
Very common and frequent bird throughout the Great Path. It can be watched practically in all stages.
The Spanish name for this bird is “escribano montesino” (“mount scribe” in English). Rock buntings receive this name in Spanish because of the characteristic pattern of strokes and colour of their eggs, which resembles the inkblots that the ancient scribes left in their writings.
- Altos de Hondonero
- Camino de la Fuenfría
- Cerro Alaminos
- Dehesa de Hondonero
- El Alcázar - La Maroma
- El Cerro de Santi Petri
- El Chorro (Paraje Natural del Desfiladero de Los Gaitanes)
- El Torcal
- Fuente de los 100 Caños
- Fuente del Acebuche
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 21: Estación de El Chorro - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 29: Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 34: Benalmádena - Alhaurín de la Torre
- Hoz de Marín
- Llanos de Líbar
- Monte de San Antón (Málaga)
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park
- Refugio de Juanar
- Río Jorox
- Sierra del Padrastro
- Sierra del Padrastro